Make High School Count
- Take as many computer courses as you can.
- Challenge yourself in math and science with classes like calculus, physics, and chemistry.
- Join or start a computer club.
- Get a summer job at a computer store or an internship in a company’s information systems department.
- Sign up for electronics.
What high school courses are needed to become a computer hardware engineer?
Career Definition for a Computer Hardware Engineer
|Education||Bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, electrical engineering or related field; some positions may require a master’s degree|
|Job Skills||Analytical, creative, communication, detail-oriented|
|Median Salary (2017)*||$115,120 (all computer hardware engineers)|
1 more row
What degree do you need to be a hardware engineer?
Most entry-level computer hardware engineers have a bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, although a degree in electrical engineering is generally acceptable. A computer engineering major is similar to electrical engineering but with some computer science courses added to the curriculum.
What skills are needed to be a computer hardware engineer?
Computer hardware engineers should also possess the following specific qualities:
- Analytical skills. Computer hardware engineers analyze complex equipment to determine the best way to improve it.
- Critical-thinking skills.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Speaking skills.
What is computer hardware engineering courses?
Computer hardware engineering is a discipline that combines aspects of both electrical engineering and computer science. Courses in this field are normally taken through a full undergraduate or graduate program. For more details about common course topics, keep reading.